Thursday, February 16, 2006

Quotations by Mark Twain VI



If you are speaking the truth you don't have to remember anything.


The lack of money is the root of all evils.


From his cradle to his grave a man never does a single thing which has any FIRST AND FOREMOST object but one -- to secure peace of mind, spiritual comfort, for HIMSELF.


Necessity is the mother of taking chances.


The man who is a pessimist before 48 knows too much; if he is an optimist after it, he knows too little.


The man with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds.


The miracle, or the power, that elevates the few is to be found in their industry, application, and perseverance under the prompting of a brave, determined spirit.


Stars are good too. I wish I could get some to put in my hair. But I suppose I never can. You would be surprised to find how far off they are, for they do not look it. When they first showed last night I tried to knock some down with a pole, but it didn't reach, which astonished me. Then I tried clods till I was all tired out, but I never got one. I did make some close shots, for I saw the black blot of the clod sail right into thee midst of the golden clusters forty or fifty times, just barely missing them, and if I could've held out a little longer, maybe I could've got one.


Pessimism is only the name that men of weak nerve give to wisdom.


Pity is for living, envy is for dead.


Prosperity is the best protector of principle.

No comments: