Saturday, May 27, 2006

Quotations For Father's Day



"When a child, my dreams rode on your wishes, I was your son, high on your horse, My mind a top whipped by the lashes Of your rhetoric, windy of course. "
-- Sir Stephen Spender

"All the feeling which my father could not put into words was in his hand--any dog, child or horse would recognize the kindness of it."
-- Freya Stark

"It's clear that most American children suffer too much mother and too little father."
-- Gloria Steinem

"Children learn to smile from their parents."
-- Shinichi Suzuki

"Cultivate your own capabilities, your own style. Appreciate the members of your family for who they are, even though their outlook or style may be miles different from yours. Rabbits don't fly. Eagles don't swim. Ducks look funny trying to climb. Squirrels don't have feathers. Stop comparing. There's plenty of room in the forest."
-- Chuck Swindoll

"When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years. "
-- Mark Twain

"Imagine life as a game in which you are juggling some five balls in the air. You name them . . . work, family, health, friends and spirit, and you're keeping all of these in the air. You will soon understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back. But the other four balls . . . family, health, friends and spirit . . . are made of glass. If you drop one of these, they will be irrevocably scuffed, marked, nicked, damaged or even shattered. They will never be the same."
-- Unknown

"A simple friend doesn't know your parents' first names. A real friend has their phone numbers in his address book."
-- Unknown

"My parents really hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio."
-- Unknown

"Good parents give their children Roots and Wings. Roots to know where home is, wings to fly away and exercise what's been taught them."
-- Jonas Salk

"Feelings of worth can flourish only in an atmosphere where individual differences are appreciated, mistakes are tolerated, communication is open, and rules are flexible--the kind of atmosphere that is found in a nurturing family."
-- Virginia Satir

"The commandment to honor parents was given to ensure that the elderly, although they may not feel wanted by family or society, are still given their appropriate reward."
-- Dr. Laura Schlessinger

"I've been very blessed. My parents always told me I could be anything I wanted. When you grow up in a household like that, you learn to believe in yourself."
-- Rick Schroeder

"It doesn't matter who my father was; it matters who I remember he was. "
-- Anne Sexton

"It is a wise father that knows his own child."
-- William Shakespeare

"My father must have had some elementary education for he could read and write and keep accounts inaccurately "
-- George Bernard Shaw

"It is admirable for a man to take his son fishing, but there is a special place in heaven for the father who takes his daughter shopping."
-- John Sinor

"The family--that dear octopus from whose tentacles we never quite escape nor, in our inmost hearts, ever quite wish to."
-- Dodie Smith

No comments: